The following steps describe the full workflow for creating a recommendation from scratch.
To create a recommendation:
- Create a recommendation strategy.
- Create a template for the recommendation. In the template, fetch the recommendation data and, optionally, define a recommendation strategy selector as a content option.
- Create a modification for the recommendation, and set up the modification:
- Optionally, define targeting for the modification.
- Define a placement for the modification.
- Define the content for the modification. Use the template you created as the content, and define the content options, if any.
- Test the recommendation. If you're not in a workspace, use variation preview or test mode.
- Publish the recommendation. You do this by activating the modification (or, if the modification is already active but in test mode, by disabling test mode for the modification).
The recommendation is now live on the site. You can freely edit the different components to improve or otherwise change how the recommendation works.
The following figure illustrates how the different components come together to create and display the recommendation.
Figure: Creating a recommendation (click to enlarge)