This document provides a technical overview of the architecture and key features of the Frosmo platformPlatform. For a high-level introduction to what the platform offers, see see Introduction to the Frosmo platformPlatform.
|Table of Contents|
The Frosmo platform is a web UI development solution for improving website functionality and personalizing online user experience.
The following figure introduces the basic architecture and information flows of the Frosmo platform.
Figure: Frosmo platform architecture and information flows at a glance
In a nutshell:
The Frosmo platform is hosted on servers in Central Europe. However, Frosmo can also set up dedicated instances in specific market areas.
The following figure shows the main components and subcomponents of the Frosmo platform Platform architecture and the information flows between them.
Figure: Frosmo platform Platform architecture and information flows in detail
For more information, see:
|Table of Contents|
- The Frosmo custom script contains the configurations and custom code specific to a single site. These are used to modify the content and functionality of the site. The configurations include, for example, modifications whose content is preloaded, placements, segments, and triggers. The custom script runs on top of the Frosmo Core library and is unique to each site (or group of sites managed as a single site). Changes Changes made to a site in the Frosmo Control Panel are automatically reflected in the custom script for that site.
<script> elements placed directly in a web page's HTML source code. The first element loads the Frosmo Core library and the second one loads the custom script for the site. Apart from adding these two elements to every page on a site, no other changes are required to use the Frosmo platformThe scripts are separated so that modifications can be pushed faster to your site without having to load the entire library every time. For more information , see about adding the scripts to a site, see Adding the Frosmo scripts to your site.
Script hosting and delivery
The Frosmo platform Platform uploads the custom script and associated media files (ones added directly to modifications) to the CDN every time they need to be updated, that is, every time something on the site is changed using the Control Panel. The assets files are always exported to CloudFront and, when needed, copied from CloudFront to other CDNs.
You can pass information data about the following events and items through the data layer:
Frosmo Control Panel
The Control Panel is the main Frosmo application for customizing and monitoring websites. In a nutshell, user interface of the Frosmo Platform. You use the Control Panel allows you to:
- Configure how the Frosmo platform modifies content and segments visitors for a site.
- Monitor how well the modifications and segmentation perform on the site.
The Control Panel is responsible for managing to customize your websites and monitor their performance.
The Control Panel uses the Graniitti API to access the Frosmo back end , and to deploy the Frosmo custom script scripts to the CDN.
Customers can use the API to, for example:
- Provide data to custom dashboards and management UIs.
- Provide an outside access point to usage data that is collected and stored by the Frosmo platformPlatform.
The API uses token-based authentication for all requests.
For more information, see Graniitti API.
The Message API retrieves modification content from the Frosmo back end, so that the content can be displayed in the browser. The Message API uses segmentation data and previous usage data to dynamically select suitable content for the visitor.
Custom APIs are typically used to:
The Recommendations API retrieves recommendation data from the Frosmo back end. This data is generated by the Frosmo Recommendations subsystem and describes one or more recommended items, such as products.
Frosmo Recommendations generates recommendations based on usage data collected from a site and using an algorithm or filter that produces relevant results from that data. The generation process is driven by recommendation configurations, which define from what usage data the recommendations are generated, how exactly the recommendations are generated, and how frequently the platform should regenerate the recommendations. You define the recommendation configurations in the Control Panel, and then retrieve the generated recommendations for display by calling the Recommendations API from a modification.
Frosmo Platform servers
The Frosmo Platform is hosted on multiple regional servers for improved availability. A customer's site is typically hosted on the server geographically closest to the majority of the site's visitors.
Frosmo has regional servers for:
The Frosmo platform Platform can use the data stored in the browser's local storage and cookies, such as segmentation data, to determine which modifications to show to the visitor. Modifications can also use data stored in the Frosmo back end.
Here are some a few examples of common modifications:
- Display personalized content based on the visitor's behavior or context.
- Add new content, such as personalized product recommendations or content generated from data feeds.
- Modify existing content, such as images or linksbanners.
- Remove unnecessary content, such as distracting elements, site navigation elements in shopping carts, or surplus elements in mobile-optimized layouts.
Modifications are grouped into the following types:
- Automatic modifications generate content automatically from a data feed or an API, or from existing content managed elsewhere on the site. The generated content is first stored in the Frosmo back end and then retrieved from there for display.
- Basic modifications are used for content that is retrieved from the Frosmo back end and displayed only after the browser has rendered the page.
- Cached modifications are used for static content that must be inserted into the page code before the page is rendered in the browser. (Like with all modifications, the content is maintained in the Frosmo back end, but unlike with the other modification types, the content is inserted in full in the Frosmo custom script for fast access.)
- Recommendations generate content based on the visitor's previous behavior on the site.
Frosmo platform main cases:
- A/B test: Create two or more content variations to test which variation performs best.
- Multi-armed bandit: Select a multi-armed bandit algorithm that automatically decides the best-performing content variation and adjusts the variation distribution accordingly.
- Personalization: Create a single piece of content that you can personalize.
Frosmo Platform administrators manage modifications in the Control Panel.
In terms of graphics and other media, Frosmo prefers to use the existing content on the site or content procured by the customer through their own CMS system. Customers deliver the content to Frosmo by providing us with access to their content management system (CMS). The Frosmo team then adds the content to the site using the Control Panel.
Conversion and transaction tracking
A conversion is any pre-determined action you want your website visitors to take. This can be, for example, a purchase of a product, signing up for a newsletter, or watching a video. You can define a conversion to be basically any variable in visitor behavior that you want to track and measure.
The Frosmo platform counts purchase-related conversions on a transaction basis. The platform counts each transaction, a completed purchase of one or more products, as a single conversion.
Example: A visitor of an online book seller adds five different books to their shopping cart, with two copies of one book, for a total of six items. The visitor proceeds to checkout and completes a purchase of all six items. The Frosmo platform counts the purchase – a transaction – as a single conversion. The visitor then adds one more book to their now-empty cart and completes another purchase. The Frosmo platform counts the second purchase of a single item as a single conversion, too.
For more information about modifications, see Feature: Modification.
For information about how conversions are attributed to modifications, see Conversion attribution.
Data collection and storage
The data can be categorized into:
- Modification performance data
- Product dataSegmentation data
- Server logs
- Visitor data
By default, the Frosmo Platform collects and processes only anonymous and pseudonymous information about visitors and their behavior on a website. The data is mainly used for content targetingplatform does not collect data that in itself enables the identification of an individual data subject.
For more information about what specific data the Frosmo Platform collects and stores from websites, and how the platform processes and uses the data, see Data collection and processing.
Integration with external systems and services
The Frosmo platform Platform can integrate with external other back-end systems and other online services, such as analytics tools, marketing automation systems, and content management systemsdata management platforms (DMPs).
Integrations are typically used for synchronizing segmentation data between the Frosmo platform Platform and an external back-end system, or for using the collected usage data outside the site. Integrations also allow the Frosmo platform Platform to input data about displayed or clicked content directly into a web an analytics tool, such as Google Analytics.
You can integrate the Frosmo platform Platform with, for example:
- Analytics tools: By default, . If you want to use a separate web analytics tool, you should integrate it with the Frosmo Platform, since changes made to a your site using the with Frosmo platform are not, by default, included in 3rd-party web analytics tracking. It is therefore important to integrate the platform with the analytics tools used on the site, so Integration ensures that you have a clear understanding of what is happening on your site.
- Marketing automation solutions: systems. The Frosmo platform Platform can gather and process segmentation and visitor data for marketing for marketing automation systems, which can then use the data to target the appropriate audiences. You You can set up integrations with, for example, ad platforms and email services.
- Data management platform (DMPs): platforms. As with many other systems, extracting useful data from DMPs can be laborious and requires the use of multiple APIs. The Frosmo platform Platform can be used as a master API, an interface for all data calls between a DMP and a site.
- Add visitor email addresses to specific mailing lists based on segmentation.
- Use email notifications to provide shopping cart contents for interrupted shopping sessions ("abandoned carts").
- Retrieve information from and store information to external databases. For example, retrieve user data from an external database and use the data to personalize site content, or send segmentation data to an external database.
- Retrieve information from data feeds, such as product data feeds, or back-end systems, such as customer relationship management (CRM) systems. For example, retrieve information about new products or products currently on sale from a data feed, and generate corresponding product recommendations to visitors.
The Frosmo platform can also use segmentation data to identify target audiences for online advertising campaigns. The platform can integrate with the following ad servers:
- Google AdWords
Frosmo platform security
The Frosmo platform For more information about integrations, see System and service integrations.
Frosmo Platform security
The Frosmo Platform can limit user access to the Control Panel by IP address. This means that users can access the Control Panel only from the designated IP addresses and from Frosmo premises.
For information about how the Frosmo platform Platform works with browsers and other software, see:
|Table of Contents|
|Google Chrome||Latest version|
|Microsoft Edge||Latest version|
|Mozilla Firefox||Latest version|
|Safari||8 or newer|
Table: Browsers officially supported by the Frosmo Control Panel
|Google Chrome||Latest version|
|Microsoft Edge||Latest version|
|Mozilla Firefox||Latest version|
Ad blockers and content filtering software
The Frosmo platform is not on any known basic ad blocking lists.
Some filter lists and software block the Frosmo platform, for example:
- F-Secure Freedome VPN (only when tracking protection is enabled, and only for pages that use HTTP)
- Ghostery (when the "Beacon" category is selected)
- Opera's built-in ad blocker (which uses EasyPrivacy)
While Frosmo never collects visitor data for its own purposes, or for the purpose of selling the data to a third party, the Frosmo scripts are technically third-party content on websites, and some privacy technologies therefore affect the Frosmo Platform.
For more information, see Online privacy technologies and the Frosmo Platform.
Where to go next
- Learn about visitors and sessions in the context of the Frosmo Platform.
- Learn about Frosmo security and data integrity at a glance.
- Learn about the main features of the Frosmo Platform.
- Learn about data collection and processing in the Frosmo Platform.
- Learn about data protection and privacy in the Frosmo Platform.
- Learn about integrations between the Frosmo Platform and external systems and services.