Learn how to use a custom action with other Frosmo Platform features.
Displaying a modification based on a custom action
If you're not already familiar with modifications and how to create them in the Frosmo Control Panel, see Modifications.
In a modification, a state is a custom action with a specific value that controls whether the modification is displayed to a visitor. If you set a custom action value as a state for a modification, the modification is only displayed to visitors who complete that custom action with that value. For example, you can set a modification to be displayed only to logged-in visitors by tracking login status with a basic custom action and setting the custom action's logged-in value as a state for the modification.
Firing a trigger based on a custom action
You can use a custom action as the event that fires a trigger. When a visitor completes the custom action, any triggers set to the custom action get fired. For example, you can use a trigger to display some new content only when the visitor completes a specific custom action. To take a more specific example: If your site displays an inactivity popup after a visitor has been idle for a set amount of time, you can trigger a custom action when the popup appears. You can then set the custom action as the event for a trigger, and attach the trigger to a placement that displays new content to the idling visitor.
Segmenting visitors based on a custom action
You can segment your visitors based on the custom actions they complete. For example, you can segment visitors based on their geographic location as tracked by a geolocation custom action, or you can segment visitors based on what they search by tracking their search queries with a basic custom action.
If you only need a single value for your custom action, consider implementing the segmentation with a trigger instead. A custom action is ideal for cases where you need multiple values to group visitors along multiple segments.
Before you can create a segment that uses a custom action, the custom action must be available in the Control Panel, either through having been triggered from the site or created in the Control Panel. If you plan to base the segment on specific values of the custom action, those values must also be available. For a geolocation custom action, this simply means that you must first create the custom action with the appropriate values in the Control Panel. For a basic custom action, you need to do one of two things:
- Implement the tracking for the custom action tracking on your site, wait for visitors to trigger complete the custom action so that it the action gets stored in the Frosmo back end along with its values, and then create the segment. This is the more typical approachrelated segments in the Control Panel.
- Create the custom action with the necessary values in the Control Panel, create the segmentrelated segments, and then implement the tracking for the custom action (using the values defined in the Control Panel)tracking on your site.
To create a segment that uses a custom action:
- In the Control Panel, select Data Management > Segmentation > Segments.
- Click Create segment.
- Click Add new rule, click Custom action, and define the segmentation rule. Remember to select the correct custom action and whichever values you want to use for this segment. For more information, see Creating segmentsand editing a segment.
- Set the time limit for the segment. For more information, see Creating segmentsand editing a segment.
- Select Description, and enter a descriptive name for the segment. You can also enter a description to better remember what the segment is about.
- When you're done, click Save.