You can combine segments into segment groups to further determine refine which visitors you want include in or exclude from your target audience.toc
You can use segment groups to:
- Organize segments and thus manage them more easily. For example, you can group similar segments to add them more easily in the audience settings of a modification.
- Make segments mutually exclusive within a segment group. This means that a visitor can only be in one segment within a segment group. For example, you can define segments for visitors in major cities. If a visitor is currently segmented in city A, but gets segmented again in city B, they are automatically excluded from the segment for city A.
Segment groups are site-specific. To segment visitors across sites, use target groups.
Adding a segment to a segment group
You can add a segment to a new or existing segment group. Adding a segment to a new segment group creates that segment group.
To add a segment to a segment group:
Click the quick menu button for the segment, and select Move to.
With segment groups, you can:
Managing segment groups
The Control Panel provides the following ways to manage segment groups:
To manage segments and segment groups, in the Control Panel, select Data Management > Segmentation > Segments. To find a segment, start typing the segment name in the search field.
Editing a segment group
To edit a segment group:
- In the segments list, find the segment group you want to edit.
Click the quick menu button for the segment group, and select Edit group.
- Edit the group name and type.
- When you're done, click Save.
Removing a segment group
To remove a segment group:
Click the quick menu button for the segment group, and select Remove group.
To add the segment to an existing group:
- Select Existing group.
- Select a group from the drop-down menu.
- Click Move.
To add the segment to a new group:
- Select New group.
- Enter a name for the group.
- Select the group type:
- General: To organize your segments for easier management, use this group type. A visitor can belong to multiple segments within the group at the same time.
- Mutually exclusive: A visitor can only belong to one segment in the group at a time. When the visitor enters a new segment, they are automatically removed from the previous segment.
- Click Move.
Mutually exclusive segment groups
Mutually exclusive segment groups have many advantages. For example, you can create a group of three segments based on when a visitor last made a purchase on your site:
- Last purchase within 7 days
- Last purchase within 30 days
- Last purchase within 180 days
When you place the segments in a mutually exclusive segment group in this order, the first segment is evaluated first. If the visitor has not made a purchase within 7 days, the platform evaluates the next segment. Again, if the visitor has not made a purchase within 30 days, the platform evaluates the last segment. If the visitor has not made a purchase within 180 days, they are not segmented at all. Visitors in the three segments probably need different kinds of content to guide the towards conversion.