This document provides a technical overview of the architecture and key features of the Frosmo platformPlatform. For a high-level introduction to what the platform offers, see Introduction to the Frosmo Platform.
|Table of Contents|
Platform at a glance
The Frosmo platform Platform is a web UI development solution for improving website functionality and personalizing online user experience.
The following figure introduces the basic architecture and information flows of the Frosmo platformPlatform.
Figure: Frosmo platform Platform architecture and information flows at a glance
The Frosmo platform Platform is hosted on servers in Central Europe. However, Frosmo can also set up dedicated instances in specific market areas.
The following figure shows the main components and subcomponents of the Frosmo platform Platform architecture and the information flows between them.
Figure: Frosmo platform Platform architecture and information flows in detail
<script> elements placed directly in a web page's HTML code. The first element loads Frosmo Core and the second one loads the custom script for the site. Apart from adding these two elements to every page on a site, no other changes are required to use the Frosmo platformPlatform. For more information, see Adding the Frosmo scripts to your site.
Script hosting and delivery
The Frosmo platform Platform uploads the custom script and associated media files (ones added directly to modifications) to the CDN every time they need to be updated, that is, every time something on the site is changed using the Control Panel. The assets are always exported to CloudFront and, when needed, copied from CloudFront to other CDNs.
The Control Panel is the main Frosmo application for customizing and monitoring websites. In a nutshell, the Control Panel allows you to:
- Configure how the Frosmo platform Platform modifies content and segments visitors for a site.
- Monitor how well the modifications and segmentation perform on the site.
The Graniitti API provides access to the data in the Frosmo back end. The API allows client applications to, for example, retrieve and create modifications, and retrieve usage data collected by the Frosmo platformPlatform.
Customers can use the API to, for example:
- Provide data to custom dashboards and management UIs.
- Provide an outside access point to usage data that is collected and stored by the Frosmo platformPlatform.
For more information, see Graniitti API.
The Frosmo platform Platform can use the data stored in the browser's local storage and cookies, such as segmentation data, to determine which modifications to show to the visitor. Modifications can also use data stored in the Frosmo back end.
- Basic modifications are used for content that is retrieved from the Frosmo back end and displayed only after the browser has rendered the page.
- Cached modifications are used for static content that must be inserted into the page code before the page is rendered in the browser. (Like with all modifications, the content is maintained in the Frosmo back end, but unlike with the other modification types, the content is inserted in full in the Frosmo custom script for fast access.)
- Recommendations generate content from product data based on the visitor's previous behavior on the site.
Frosmo platform Platform administrators manage modifications in the Control Panel.
A conversion is any pre-determined action you want your website visitors to take. This can be, for example, a purchase of a product, signing up for a newsletter, or watching a video. You can define a conversion to be basically any variable in visitor behavior that you want to track and measure.
The Frosmo platform Platform counts purchase-related conversions on a transaction basis. The platform counts each transaction, a completed purchase of one or more products, as a single conversion.
Example: A visitor of an online book seller adds five different books to their shopping cart, with two copies of one book, for a total of six items. The visitor proceeds to checkout and completes a purchase of all six items. The Frosmo platform Platform counts the purchase – a transaction – as a single conversion. The visitor then adds one more book to their now-empty cart and completes another purchase. The Frosmo platform Platform counts the second purchase of a single item as a single conversion, too.
- Modification performance data
- Product data
- Server logs
- Visitor data
By default, the Frosmo platform Platform collects and processes only anonymous and pseudonymous information about visitors and their behavior on a website. The platform does not collect data that in itself enables the identification of an individual data subject.
For more information about what data the Frosmo platform Platform collects and where the platform stores the data, see Data collection and storage.
Integration with external systems and services
The Frosmo platform Platform can integrate with other back-end systems and online services, such as analytics tools, marketing automation systems, and data management platforms (DMPs).
Integrations are typically used for synchronizing segmentation data between the Frosmo platform Platform and an external back-end system, or for using the collected usage data outside the site. Integrations also allow the Frosmo platform Platform to input data about displayed or clicked content directly into an analytics tool, such as Google Analytics.
You can integrate the Frosmo platform Platform with, for example:
- Analytics tools. If you want to use a separate web analytics tool, you should integrate it with the Frosmo platformPlatform, since changes made to your site with Frosmo are not, by default, included in 3rd-party web analytics tracking. Integration ensures that you have a clear understanding of what is happening on your site.
- Marketing automation systems. The Frosmo platform Platform can gather and process segmentation and visitor data for marketing automation systems, which can then use the data to target the appropriate audiences. You can set up integrations with, for example, ad platforms and email services.
- Data management platforms. As with many other systems, extracting useful data from DMPs can be laborious and requires the use of multiple APIs. The Frosmo platform Platform can be used as a master API, an interface for all data calls between a DMP and a site.
The Frosmo platform Platform can integrate with, for example, the following ad platforms:
For more information about integrations, see System and service integrations.
The Frosmo platform Platform can limit user access to the Control Panel by IP address. This means that users can access the Control Panel only from the designated IP addresses and from Frosmo premises.
For information about how the Frosmo platform Platform works with browsers and other software, see:
Ad blockers and content filtering software
The Frosmo platform Platform is not on any known basic ad blocking lists.
Some filter lists and software block the Frosmo platformPlatform, for example:
- F-Secure Freedome VPN (only when tracking protection is enabled, and only for pages that use HTTP)
- Ghostery (when the "Beacon" category is selected)
- Opera's built-in ad blocker (which uses EasyPrivacy)
The Frosmo platform Platform interprets an incognito browsing session as a new visitor. This means that no segmentation data or other data previously stored in the browser is available for the session. Each new incognito session is counted as a new visitor.