The following steps describe the full workflow for creating from scratch a recommendation that uses a recommendation configuration.
If possible, use recommendation strategies instead of recommendation configurations when creating recommendations.
To create a recommendation with a recommendation configuration:
- Create the recommendation configuration.
- Optionally, create a template for the recommendation. In the template, fetch the recommendation data using the Recommendations API.
- Create a modification for the recommendation, and set up the modification:
- Optionally, define segments for the modification.
- Define a placement for the modification.
- Define the content for the modification. If you created a template, use the template as the content, and define the content options, if any. If you did not create a template, define the modification content as custom content. In the custom content, fetch the recommendation data using the Recommendations API.
- Test the recommendation. If you're not in a workspace, use variation preview or test mode.
- Publish the recommendation. You do this by activating the modification (or, if the modification is already active but in test mode, by disabling test mode for the modification).
The recommendation is now live on the site. You can freely edit the different components to improve or otherwise change how the recommendation works.
For a practical example of the above workflow, see Example: Recommending products purchased together (configuration).